Thursday, January 12, 2012

BLT's? YES Please!

We actually had these on Sunday and I didn't take a picture, but I thought it would be a good post anyway.  With any processed foods/meats, you need to be diligent about reading labels.  I have found Oscar Myer Low Sodium Bacon to work for us (sodium and I are not friends).  I try to keep bacon in the freezer at all times.  Who doesn't love bacon?

I always bake my bacon in the oven for a couple of reasons. To me, it's easier than on the stove because I can cook the whole package at once and it doesn't spatter all over the place.  This is what I do:

Preheat oven to 375
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminum foil if I'm out of parchment)
Place uncooked bacon in single strips on the sheet (I usually need 2 sheets for one package of bacon)
Cook bacon for between 15-20 minutes or until is smells/looks done ( I use my nose more than a timer when baking)
Let the bacon cool for a few minutes.
Toast bread, rinse lettuce of your choice and slice tomatoes (if your kids will eat tomatoes, mine won't so our BLT's become BL's)
For my son, I butter the toast with a non-dairy butter.  For my daughter, hubby and I, I spread mayo on the toast.
Arrange the bacon, lettuce & tomato on your bread as you like and dinner is served.

~ Pam

1 comment: