Monday, January 16, 2012

Meatballs & Spaghetti (I know I wrote it backwards)

Okay, so this may not be the most helpful post-- mostly because I don't measure often when I cook so for those of you who need to measure everything exactly, I apologize up front.  BUT...here's what I hope you can take away from this post-- you CAN use applesauce to replace an egg in meatballs (and meatloaf for that matter).  Before cooking for FA, I used to boil my meatballs and then bake for a bit in sauce.  I'm preetttty sure if I boiled meatballs that didn't have the egg to bind, they would fall apart.  Here's what I have done with meatballs so far:


  • I bake them in marinara sauce --lately I like Prego Smart Health Veggie (because it's the only way to get my kids to eat veggies)
  • I use a little bbq sauce for some spice :-)
  • Quite often I THINK I have breadcrumbs and I when I go for them, they aren't there. Does anyone else have this problem?  For some odd reason I do usually have stuffing mix (Stove Top & Pepperage Farm) and use this instead--another reason to love stuffing!! 


Sometimes when I have time, I like to grate onion and mince fresh garlic, but lately that isn't happening--on Sunday I didn't have time, and made them with out fresh onion and garlic and you know what?  They tasted just fine! :-)   I will "guess-ta-mate" my measurements here:

1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons of ketchup
1-2 tablespoons of mustard
1-2 tablespoons of (your favorite bbq sauce)

2 teaspoon onion powder (or 2 tablespoons of grated onion)
1 teaspoon of garlic powder (1 minced garlic clove )

about 1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup applesauce (to replace 1 egg)

about 1 lb of ground meat of your choice (this time I used 1/2 ground turkey 1/2 beef)

Directions:
Heat oven 350
In a large bowl mix all ingredients except meat & breadcrumbs until well combined
Mix in the meat and breadcrumbs but
 don't over-mix (because Rachel Ray told me not to)
Roll your meatballs and place in a baking dish
Pour your favorite marinara sauce over the meatballs.  Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes.  Uncover to bake for another 10-15 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly and serve with spaghetti or your favorite pasta of choice.

~ Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment