Sunday, January 29, 2012

National Chocolate Cake Day?? Who Knew?

So on Friday a mutual facebook friend posted that it was National Chocolate Cake Day!  Whaaaat?  Why have I never heard of such a patriotic day?  So like any other good American would do, I baked a chocolate cake.  I used a fairly new recipe that I have come do adore!  I've been around and around with boxed mixes... tried Duncan Hines with a diet coke--works pretty well.  I've tried Cherry Brook Kitchen--and I like how the cake is, but it's a bit expensive.  Last May, when I was super preggo and super tired, I did a little research for my son's 1st Communion Cake (and future bday cakes if we found one).  I of course went back to the POFAK website because everyone there is super supportive and they did NOT disappoint.  There is a Wacky Cake recipe floating around on their website that actually originated in the 20's and 30's during the Depression when milk and eggs were hard to come by.  Score for us, because this recipe is now my go-to cake recipe.  I've made cupcakes (45 of them for my son's communion) and cake, and you really canNOT mess this recipe up!!  Here it is :-)

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 tblsp cocoa powder (or more if you like)
1 tsp baking soda

Wet Ingredients
1 cup water
5 tblsp oil (this is equal to about 1/4 cup)
1 tblsp white vingar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven 350
Grease baking pan or line muffin tin
Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in a bowl (or in a large measuring cup)
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well
Pour into pan or muffin tins.

Bake cupcakes about 20 minutes --or use your nose; cake pan about 30 minutes--but they really will let you know when they are done.

Here's my tutorial pictures;-)

mixing bowl and measuring cup ready to go


Pouring all the wet ingredients into the dry...

baked, cooled and out of the pan-- it DIDN'T stick!!  :-)

A little frosting and...

2 Happy kids celebrating National Chocolate Cake Day :-)

~ Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment