Friday, January 13, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (dairy, egg free yumminess)

This is a tried and true recipe I've been using for a few years.  I will not brag that I thought it completely on my own... I took the oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats canister and modified it to suite our needs.  I made some yesterday for an afternoon snack for the kids.  I always feel that I too can eat a mountain of these because they have oatmeal, and therefore are "healthy" cookies.  Yeah, I know, I know...I'm ignoring the margarine and sugar content.  :-)

Ingredients:
2 sticks of softened Fleischman's unsalted margarine (it's dairy free)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I've used both dark and light)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce (replaces 2 eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup (or as many as you like and if you are like me--a whole bag) dairy free choc chips

Here are the choc. chips I use.  I get them at our whole foods.  I usually go into wholefoods about once a month and I always buy at least 2 bags to keep on hand in my freezer.









Directions for cookies:
preheat oven 350
beat together margarine & sugars until creamy
add applesauce & vanilla; beat well-- it looks kinda yucky at this point, but keep going--they will be delish!
add combined flour; baking soda & powder, cinnamon; mix well
stir in oats and chips; mix well-- dough will be fairly wet
drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper
bake 10-12 minutes or until they smell/look done-- golden around the edges and just on top
cool 1 minute on baking sheet and then remove to wire rack

yields about 4 dozen cookies or you can do what I did yesterday and make one baking sheet full and put the rest on plastic wrap in the fridge for another time.

I don't have any pictures of the finished products because I forgot to take a picture before I left for work and they were all gone when I got home.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. what a treasure your blog is!
    man, i wish i had you around when my son was diagnosed with his allergies too! i am also one of those crazy mama's who has to read EVERY SINGLE label in the grocery store :)
    my little guy was allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts, but has since grown out of the dairy, eggs and treenuts- so now all we have to watch out for are peanuts.
    i really do understand the struggle of having to make up our own recipes! you are so awesome for putting them online to share with other parents who have kids with allergies as well!

    hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to have new readers!! I was squealing like a little kid when I saw your comment! :-) Thank you for your positive feedback. It is so hard when our kids have FAs! I hope that some new FA moms or anyone looking for new recipes find some help here!

    I LOVE your blog as well! I've been following for a while and love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete